Saturday, November 3, 2007

Top of My Bookshelf


Many of my friends often ask me the infamous question. Since it's such a challenging task, I refrain from answering it.

What is your top 10 of all time?

Yes, it's challenging, because when you have a great number of books you keep reading again and again, how can you pick some of them and label as the Top 10? Perhaps it depends on the mood you are in, season of the year and many other factors.

Anyway, I eventually decided to declare my personal Top 10 here. But considering what I've just mentioned above, maybe I should do this here periodically.
Now, let's take a look at the top of my bookshelf:


1. The Devil Tree by Jerzy Kosinski

2. Chess Story by Stefan Zweig

3. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

4. War and Piece by Lev Tolstoy

5. Clergyman's Daughter by George Orwell

6. White Nights by Fyodor Dostoevsky

7. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

8. Being There by Jerzy Kosinski

9. My Sweet Orange Tree by Jose Mauro de Vasconcelos

10. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert


Probably that's it for this season of the year. But I may give you a totally different list six months after. Well, wouldn't you do so?

That's the joy of literature.

No comments: